ATK Mohun Bagan crowned ISL champion after beating Bengaluru FC on penalties

ATK Mohun Bagan kept their nerves up in a closely contested Indian Premier League final, beating Bengaluru FC 4-3 on penalties to lift their maiden title in Goa on Saturday.In a match that ended 2-2 in regular time, ATKMB’s Dimitri Petratos beat Vishal Kaith from the Bruno Ramirez‘In the shootout, they were one step closer. FC Bengaluru’s Pablo Perez then fired his penalty over the bar as the Mariners sealed the result in a game they had upset FC Bengaluru from the start.Bangalore FC forced to bring in Sunil Chetri Earlier after Sivasakthi Narayanan was stretchered off in the opening seconds of the match.

Things went off plan in the 13th minute when Krishna handled the ball from a Petratos corner when ATKMB was awarded a penalty. Petratos got the job done from the spot to give his side the lead.

ATKMB used this advantage to put pressure on Bengaluru FC, who received a large number of yellow cards on the pitch, as well as coach Simon Grayson.

But they got their chance to come back in the final minute of first-half stoppage time when Bose missed the ball and made contact with Krishna in an attempted clearance. Chetri stepped up to take a penalty kick and sent Keys to the wrong way to equalize the score.

In the final period of the game, Rohit’s shot from the edge of the box created a series of corners before deflecting to find Krishna at the far post, and the striker headed home in the 78th minute.

But five minutes later, the game was restored to a draw. ATKMB won their second penalty of the night as Kiyan Nassiri went down after a light push by Perez on the edge of the FC Bengaluru box. Petratos scored again.

In the 3rd minute of stoppage time, Asish Rai’s shot in the penalty area was saved from the bottom line Prabil DashMoments later, Coraco and Nasiri nearly combined to score, but Bruno Ramirez provided a crucial interception as the game went into extra time.

Udanta Singh and Rohit missed the target in their respective attempts in extra time, while Manvir’s shot just missed ATKMB from a few yards out.

Sandu saved Petratos’ long-range shot towards the end of extra time, but before the game went to penalties, Petratos’s corner bounced and did nothing.

Golden Glove winner Keith stood up for his side for the second game in a row in a tense penalty shoot-out and no one missed a penalty in a game that was decided by penalties.

As the winner, ATKMB took home Rs. 6 crore, while runners-up Bengaluru FC took home Rs. 2.5 lakh.

(This story was not edited by NDTV staff and was automatically generated from syndicated feeds.)

topics mentioned in this article

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *